Is it Racecar, or Am I Spelling That Backwards?

I bet you have been going crazy trying to think of ways I could possibly top my last post. I can hear your thoughts, your thinking, "wow, I didn't realize New Year's Eve could ever be that interesting", "I can't believe how talented of a writer Noah is", "I doubt any piece of literature will ever be as amazing as that last post". I'm here to set your mind at ease, yes NYE is riveting, but anything I touch instantly because interesting (its a gift) so that's not a surprise. Thank you, I pride myself in being the king of the garbage writers. And finally, don't worry, this post will be regarding one of the most pressing topics in the world. Today I will be comparing people's opinions on NASCAR (please try to contain your excitement). So without further ado, on your marks, get set, let's go!

This week I'll start by talking about why people don't like NASCAR. Everything I read in prep for this post showed me that people don't seem to have a ton of reasons for disliking NASCAR. One of the reasons is that there are apparently really dumb rules for the sport. For instance, if there is a crash during a race a car has five minutes in the pit stop to get fixed before it needs to be back on the track, if the car doesn't meet certain requirements it and the driver is out of the race. I generally think this is a good safety rule, but man would that suck if your favorite driver, Rick Bobby, was kicked out of a race because his team wasn't able to fix his car in five minutes. Heck, I've waited three days to get a dent removed from my car before, how are pit crews supposed to fix a car that has been in a full wreck in five minutes!?!

Another thing people don't like is NASCAR's effort to compete with other sports franchises/ make it more "interesting" for their fan base. NASCAR is implementing a three-stage system. "What is that Noah?" I that can hear you thinking that right now, please, if you keep reading I'll do my best explain and if you don't mind please hold all question until the end of the blog post. From my best understanding, the three-stage system is much like quarters, periods or halves of other sports. At the end of each of the stages, drivers are awarded points based on their current position in the race. It's supposed to keep viewers engaged for the entirety of the race, but It seemed to have the opposite effect on some as the new system comes off as unnecessarily dumb to those who aren't fans, fueling the hate fire.

Quick side note I learned quite a bit about NASCAR for this post, I didn't even know there were points that drivers accumulated throughout the season.

The overarching cause for people's dislike for NASCAR is probably the easiest to guess and definitely the most popular answer to the question "Why don't people like NASCAR?".
It. Is. BORING.
Whether or not you like NASCAR you have to respect that when you boil down the sport what you are left with is a bunch of dudes driving fast cars in an oval for hours. And Let's go to Jim who is covering the big race.
"Thanks Noah. At this moment the drivers are approaching their first left turn. Wow, that was exciting! Only 10,000 more to go!"

Now if you are someone who does like NASCAR, don't worry I haven't forgotten about you. Something that I think is probably universally true for every sport its that if someone thinks its boring, someone else finds it super exciting and NASCAR is no exception. Racing fans can see a 500 mile race as the most exhilarating thing ever. They love to dig into the strategy of the race, when is the right time to accelerate, when to take it easy, where and when do you pass other drivers? People who are into it are really into it. Like I said its just like any other sport, fans love to analyze and cheer for their favorite team or in this case drivers.

Something that I found really cool about NASCAR fans is that they like the sport for the engineering of it. By this, I mean the cars themselves. I didn't realize that there is a whole community of people out there who love to learn and talk about what is going on under the hood of a race car. As an engineer and someone who like to know how things work I really can appreciate the fascination with race car mechanics. Think about it, its a machine that has to be able to perform reliably for several hours at a time, be pushing the edge of efficiency in order to be competitive and do all of that at 200 miles an hour! I don't have an opinion about NASCAR and even I think that is cool.

Another thing that I did not realize NASCAR fans followed was the Drivers themselves. Apparently, it is fun for fans to watch interviews of different drivers because they all had different personalities (duh obviously, they are human). But for real, people like to watch the different reactions of the drives when they win, lose, get in a crash or even just fart a lot during a race. It's like reality TV for some people. For others, they can see the personalities of the drivers come out in their style of racing. I don't really get that one, but hey, I read it on the internet and the internet never lies. Right?

And there you have it post number two of this blog. I hope I did an adequate job of highlighting the different opinions of people regarding NASCAR. Inspiration for this post came from my roommates who flipped the TV on to the Indy 500 last weekend. We watched a little bit of it because there had just been a major crash (like it took out over half the drivers). I only watched for a few more minutes before I lost interest, at that moment I realized when it came to NASCAR I have Noahpinion.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's do this!!

New Year's Eve: Worth it? Maybe, Maybe Not.